- How We Help
- Get Involved
News & Events
- How We Help
- Get Involved
- News & Events
- Video Player
- Page Not Found
- Form - Final
- A Letter to United Way Supporters
- LIVE UNITED: BE THE ONE 2013 Campaign Kick-Off
- 2013 Women's Leadership Luncheon
- 2014 Day of Caring Volunteer Event & Thank You
- 2013 LIVE UNITED T-Shirt Day
- Welcome to Our New Website!
- Watch Roger Staubach's first United Way commercial and others from the last 40 years here
- USA WEEKEND Magazine sponsors Make A Difference Day
- See who sported their t's for 2013 LIVE UNITED Tshirt Day
- Black Friday. Cyber Monday. Giving Tuesday. LIVE UNITED Today!
- U.S. Bank Employees get "pie-d" for United Way to celebrate their outstanding campaign
- Announcing...Our 2014 United Way 35 Under 35 Women's Leadership Program Participants
- United Way's new approach is intended to give donors a better picture of their return on investment
- It's not about CHARITY. It's about CHANGE.
- United Way teams up with Target to Share-A-Tree with families in need
- Blog Rss Feed
- 1 more step toward quality child care: North Dakota launches Bright & Early North Dakota statewide
- 2013 Campaign Announcement Media Event & Thank you Reception
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2013 Fredrick W. Donath Campaign Award
- We have achieved and exceeded our 2013 Campaign Goal of $5.2 million!
- It's tax time! What you need to know about preparing your tax return with your gift to United Way
- United Way of Cass-Clay 2013 Report to the Community Now Available
- Congratulations to our 2013 BE THE ONE Award Winners!
- 2014 Annual Meeting and Celebration of ONE
- Did you miss the 2014 Annual Meeting and Celebration of ONE?
- The Power of Community Involvement
- United Way Celebrates National Volunteer Week
- Individualism or the Common Good? We need both.
- May 10 is the National Letter Carriers' Food Drive and YOU can help!
- Education That Works: Educational Leaders, the Economic Development Corporation, and United Way
- United Way Celebrates May Day by Celebrating Education
- Launching "Education that Works" for students, teachers and our future workforce
- United Way announces 2015-2016 investments in Community Partners providing Basic Needs
- $ 5 lunch on Thursday at all Hornbacher's locations! Gobble It Up for United Way
- A letter from our 2014 Board Chair, Mark Jensen-Thanks from the United Way
- 16th Annual School Supply Drive kicks off today-donation and volunteer info!
- REGISTER TO VOLUNTEER FOR SCHOOL SUPPLY DRIVE HERE
- You are invited to the 2014 United Way Kick Off Event on September 9 featuring Hugh Weber
- The 2014 Campaign Materials are ready for you! Check 'em out!
- YOUNG PEOPLE, UNITE! The NEW Emerging Leaders in Giving Program has launched
- Applications for the 2015 35 Under 35 Women's Leadership Program are now available
- Volunteer registration is now open for the 2014 Day of Caring
- Join nearly 700 women to support United Way's work in EDUCATION on Nov 6-EVENT IS SOLD OUT
- UNITED for Jefferson Neighborhood
- 23rd Annual Day of Caring
- 35 Under 35 Alumni come together for Women’s Build for Habitat for Humanity
- Want to Stay Active and Improve Your Health as You Grow Older? Volunteer!
- Want to Stay Active and Improve Your Health as You Grow Older? Volunteer!
- Want to see what lasting change looks like?
- Monte’s Downtown launches DINE UNITED in partnership with United Way
- West Acres - BOOtiful Night: Trick or Treating
- Watch videos of the 2014 Kick Off Event
- United Way of Cass-Clay collaborates to lead first-ever regional workforce study
- 2014 LIVE UNITED T-Shirt Day
- US Bank Reveals Campaign Total
- Giving THANKS to our Volunteers!
- Essentia employee gets a VIP limo ride to work as part of United Way Campaign
- Proudly announcing the 2015 participants of the United Way 35 Under 35 Women's Leadership Program
- United Way of Cass-Clay has officially reached the $3.5 million mark on our way to the 2014 campaign
- United Way Partners with Target to spread holiday cheer
- Apply to volunteer for 2015 Community Investment Review Panel
- Join us for Coffee and 2014 Campaign Results on Feb 6
- 5 Reasons to Celebrate Volunteer Mentors
- How to Make Your New Year’s Resolution Mean Something—Advice from Maya Moore
- Join us for the 2015 Annual Meeting and Volunteer Awards Featuring Keynote Speaker Wes Moore
- Now Accepting Nominations for the 2014 Frederick W. Donath Campaign Award
- Mission Gratitude: Mission Accepted
- The 2014 Annual Report to the Community has been officially released!
- United Way welcomes new board members in 2015
- Volunteers Meet to Launch 2015 Campaign Cabinet
- May 1st Brings 4th Annual May Day Baskets of Books!
- Local Organizations Receive National Recognition from United Way
- test page
- Regional Workforce Study Results Announced-United Way to Take Action to Address Workforce Challenges
- Millennials Move Mountains
- 2015 School Supply Drive - How to Donate & Receive Supplies
- 2015 School Supply Drive Equips 5,260 Students for the School Year
- YOUR IRA CHARITABLE CONTRIBUTION WILL HELP IMPROVE LIVES IN OUR COMMUNITY.
- MISSION GRATITUDE: Congrats to our LIVE UNITED Award Nominees!
- Introducing the nominees of the NEW “LIVE UNITED Catalyst of the Year” Award
- United Way names Kristi Huber as President
- Now accepting nominations for the 2016 LIVE UNITED Leader of the Year Award
- United Way makes new investment to help West Fargo students access mental health services
- ALL VOLUNTEER SHIFTS FULL - 2017 School Supply Drive
- 2017 United Way Day of Caring Volunteer Event
- You won't want to miss our Kick Off Event on Sept 14
- Applications for 2018 United Way 35 Under 35 Women's Leadership Program available on September 1
- MORNING SESSION: A Day In The Life - Poverty Simulation Volunteer Event
- AFTERNOON SESSION: A Day In The Life - Poverty Simulation Volunteer Event
- 17th Annual United Way Women United Luncheon & Silent Auction
- A Day in the Life: A Perspective on Poverty
- 8th Annual Roers/Keller Williams Chili Feed is Happening on Oct 3rd!
- Collaborative Investments Are Helping Rural Students Access Mental Health Services
- Generosity Is the Strength of Our Community
- LIVE UNITED T-Shirt Day & United Acts of Kindness on November 10th
- United Way Focuses on Investing to Help People Be Independent
- 2018 Women United Golf Scramble
- 800 Women UNITE to Help Give Kids the Very Best Start
- A Sign Is Worth A Thousand Words
- 2018 35 Under 35 Women's Leadership Class Announced!
- Get Informed and then Advocate...Learn More About Poverty in Our Community
- Emerging Leaders Turn Inspiration Into Action
United Way welcomes new board members in 2015
The 2015 Annual Meeting in March officially nominated and approved of six new board of trustee members to the United Way of Cass-Clay. We would like to officially announce and introduce them to you.
John Biwer - President, Discovery Benefits
John Biwer has been with Discovery Benefits for over 17 years and has seen the company grow from having a small local presence to a large national presence in all 50 states. During this time of growth, the company, products and industry have gone through many changes but what hasn’t changed is Discovery Benefits’ vision of creating innovative solutions and delivering extraordinary customer service.
As President of Discovery Benefits John is committed to creating and maintaining an environment that inspires employees to become leaders that strive for the highest integrity, honesty, and respect for their co-workers, customers, and partners. To survive the quickly changing healthcare landscape John believes that it must be done with a desire to never stop learning, transparency to everyone and the embracing of change that is now around every corner.
Discovery Benefits has been recognized for numerous awards including five consecutive years on Business Insurances’ “Best Places to Work”, Inc. 5000’s 2013 & 2014 “Fastest Growing Companies”, and most recently from Evolution1 the “Partner of the Year Award”.
John joined the Payroll Division of Discovery Benefits in 1997 as Network Administrator and in 1999 John added Chief Operating Officer to his payroll responsibilities. In 2005, John was appointed Vice President of Operations for all of Discovery’s lines of business and was named President of Discovery Benefits in 2007. John earned his degree in Business Administration from North Dakota State University in 1994 and his MBA from North Dakota State University in 2007. John is married to Corina Biwer and together they have two children Aiden (13) and Austin (10).
Lisa Borgen - VP Administration, American Crystal Sugar
Graduate of NDSCS 1982 (LPN); MSUM 1993 (Criminal Justice) UND School of Law 1996 (JD)
Owner of Borgen Law Office 1996; Elected Clay County Attorney 1998 and 2002; Appointed by Gov. Tim Pawlenty to District Court Bench 2006; Elected District Court Judge 2008; Resigned Judgeship in 2013, joined Vogel Law Firm in Moorhead 2013; joined American Crystal Sugar Company as Vice President of Administration 2014.
Married to Brad Borgen for 32 years, 3 adult children (Michael, Isaac, CeCe), one 5 year old (Jaidyn), one granddaughter (Livi). I enjoy learning new things every day, spending time with family at the lake, cooking and hiking the National Parks.
Anne Blackhurst - President, MSUM
Dr. Anne Blackhurst became the 11th president of Minnesota State University Moorhead on July 1, 2014. Dr. Blackhurst has more than 30 years of higher education experience in small liberal arts colleges, mid-size comprehensive public universities, and a large research-intensive institution, including 10 years of successful experience in academic leadership roles. She served as provost and senior vice president for Academic Affairs at MSUM since 2011. As provost, she led a campus-wide strategic planning process that resulted in a new core values statement, a new strategic vision and five new strategic priorities designed to align with the strategic framework for the MnSCU system while capitalizing on MSUM’s unique strengths and attributes.
Anne has one son, Evan, who lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma with his wife, Paige. Anne and her husband, Joe, a retired professor of sports psychology, live just a few blocks from MSUM with their dogs, Sadie and Roscoe.
Camille Grade - Marketing & Communications Manager, Myriad Mobile
Camille Grade is the Marketing and Communications Manager at Myriad Mobile, a software development firm headquartered in Fargo. She holds a B.A. in Organizational Communications and English Literature from Concordia College. Her professional background includes nonprofit management, communication strategy, marketing, and writing. For seven years she worked in fundraising and development, first at Prairie Public Broadcasting, then at the Plains Art Museum. During her tenure at the museum, she helped secure significant grant funding for the Katherine Kilbourne Burgum Center for Creativity. She then spent three years at the Fargo Moorhead West Fargo Chamber of Commerce and facilitated year to year growth with the programs she managed, including the Young Professionals Network, Leadership Fargo Moorhead West Fargo, and the Corporate Cup.
When not at Myriad, you can find Camille's head in a book, her feet in a lake, her body on an airplane, or her hands clumsily trying to help on the family farm by Borup, Minn. Camille resides in West Fargo with her husband, Ryan.
Matt Leiseth - President, Hornbacher’s Food
Matt Leiseth is currently the President of Hornbacher’s Foods, with stores located in Fargo, ND and Moorhead, MN. Matt’s career began at Hornbacher’s in 1991 as a bagger and continued with positions of increasing responsibility. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Business Administration from Concordia College and a Master’s of Business Administration from the University of Mary.
Matt is an active leader in the Fargo-Moorhead community. He currently serves on the Village Family Service Center Foundation and also served as President of the Board of Directors of The Village Family Service Center, whose mission is improving the lives of children and families. He also has served as Council President and chairs several ministry boards at Trinity Lutheran in Moorhead.
Matthew and his wife Janelle live in Moorhead, Minnesota with their four children, Katherine (13), Hannah (11), Isaac (8), and Rachel (6).
Paul Laney - Sheriff, Cass County Government
Paul D. Laney is a North Dakota native and was raised in rural Cass County near Horace, ND. He attended school in West Fargo, ND and graduated from West Fargo High School in 1984. He enlisted in the United States Marine Corps in 1984. While in the Marine Corps he served in a Communications Detachment with MSSG-13 of the 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit. Sheriff Laney was honorably discharged in October of 1988.
He returned to the Fargo area in 1989 and was hired by the Fargo Police Department in August of 1989. Sheriff Laney served in many capacities with the Fargo Police Department. He served as a patrol officer, gang/narcotics investigator, field training officer and tactical team member. When Sheriff Laney retired from the Fargo Police Department in December of 2006, he was a lieutenant and commander of the Red River Valley SWAT Team.
Sheriff Laney was elected to a four year term of office in November of 2006 and was sworn in as the Cass County Sheriff on January 2, 2007. He was re-elected to a second term as Cass County Sheriff and was sworn in on January 3, 2011. Sheriff Laney assumed duties for his third term as Cass County Sheriff on January 1, 2015.
Sheriff Laney is the Immediate Past President of the North Dakota Sheriff’s and Deputies Association and serves on the Board of Directors for the North Dakota Association of Counties (NDACo). Sheriff Laney also serves the Board of Directors for the National Sheriff’s Association and serves on two national committees, the Drug Enforcement Committee and he is the current chairman of the Special Operations Committee, for the National Sheriff’s Association. Sheriff Laney hosted a weekly radio show called Law Talk with Sheriff Laney on KFGO Radio from 2010-2012. Sheriff Laney was named the E911 Institutes “Government Leader of the Year” for 2011 and was the National Sheriff’s Association’s 2012 Ferris E. Lucas “National Sheriff of the Year.”
Sheriff Laney has two daughters and lives in West Fargo with his wife Patty.
For a full list of the Board of Trustees, click here.Download Download Download Download Download Download