- How We Help
- Get Involved
News & Events
- How We Help
- Get Involved
- News & Events
- Page Not Found
- Form - Final
- Blog Rss Feed
- Here's What You Need to Know About Claiming Your United Way Donation This tax season
- And The Nominees Are.....
- How You Can be an Advocate for Student Mental Health in Your Community!
- JUST ANNOUNCED: 2018 United Way Top 50 Most Generous Workplaces
- Congratulations to the LIVE UNITED Award Winners!
- How VITA is helping hard working tax payers receive more on their tax returns
- Register for the 2018 35 Under 35 Celebration Ceremony on June 7
- A Lesson In Leadership
- United Way's 35 Under 35 Women's Leadership Program Celebrates 10 Years
- UNITED for Child Care Training Event Materials
- Gobble It Up Pre-Orders OPEN!
- Story Squad: Kid's Storytime with United Way
- Eggs & Issues: The State of Local Child Care & Its Impact on Workforce Development
- Join us for the 2018 United Way Kick Off Event!
- 2019 35 Under 35 Women's Leadership Program Applications Now Available!
- 2018 Women UNITED Luncheon & Silent Auction
- 35 Women With One Thing In Common, A Desire to Make A Difference: United Way's 35 Under 35 Program
- Are You Up for the (Social Media) Challenge!?
- 2018 LIVE UNITED T-shirt & UNITED Acts of Kindness Day
- 2018 Campaign Video: I Wish My Teacher Knew
- A Song to Say Thank You
- Women UNITED Luncheon & Silent Auction Raffle WINNERS
- UNITED for Student Mental Health - Mental Health Services Expanded to 6 Rural Schools in ND
- Here’s What You Need to Know About Claiming Your United Way Donation This tax season
- Nominate YOUR Organization for LIVE UNITED Leader of the Year!
- Join us to Recognize Generosity in Our Community!
- And The Nominees Are...
- United Way of Cass-Clay: James' Story
- Congratulations to the LIVE UNITED Awards Winners!
- JUST ANNOUNCED: 2019 United Way Top 50 Most Generous Workplaces
- Community Collaborations: United Way Receives Presidents' Award for Community Partner
- Women UNITE to Share a Love of Learning
- Help Encourage Kids to Succeed on Their First Day of School
- The Route to Removing Barriers for Employment - United Way Helps Expand Transportation Services
- Pre Order Info for Hornbacher's Gobble It Up for United Way $5 Lunch
- A Backpacks Impact: The United Way School Supply Drive
- Will You Accept the Women UNITED Challenge?!
- Register now for the 2019 Kick Off Event on September 18
- Home For Good: Give Now to Help Welcome Families Home - For Good.
- Community Kickoff Event
- Location Unveiled for the Future Home of United Way of Cass-Clay
- 2021 Women UNITED Golf Scramble
- Hornbacher’s Gobble It Up for United Way
- Watch the Community Kickoff Event
- Roers Chili Feed – Get your Cup of Chili Sept 15-29
- Taking Action to Help Families in Need - How the Coronavirus Response Fund is Helping
- United Way moving Dec. 18
- Our New Location: What You Need to Know
- Reaching Out: A space to serve our region for generations.
- LIVE UNITED Awards & Annual Meeting on March 25 – Join the Virtual Watch Party
- United Way is on AmazonSmile - a percent of your purchase can help families locally
- Home for Good Baskets Provide Hope
- 35 Under 35 Women’s Leadership Program Celebration
- Choice Bank’s Commitment to Preventing Homelessness
- School Supply Drive - Donate
- School Supply Drive - Distribution
- Host Your Own Virtual Drive
- Unconscious Bias: Understanding Bias to Unleash Potential™ presented by Emerging Leaders
April 03, 2018
How VITA is helping hard working tax payers receive more on their tax returns
A United Way Collaborative
The mission of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program is to provide free tax help to taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns from reliable tax professionals such as:
- Low and moderate-income individuals and families
- Persons with disabilities
- Individuals with language barriers
Filing taxes can be complicated and without assistance many miss vital income tax deductions that could put more of their hard earned money back in their pockets. Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) provides tax preparation assistance services to thousands of taxpayers locally and millions of taxpayers nationwide.
Since 2014, United Way of Cass-Clay has invested $10,000 annually to two local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Programs as a part of our BOLD GOAL #4, Lifting People Out of Poverty. Thanks to our collaboration with our partners, Lakes & Prairies Community Action Partnership and SENDCAA, more than 1,000 local tax payers received assistance filing their taxes last year!
VITA Results from 2017
A VITA SUCCESS STORY
A young single mom with 3 kids came in to get her taxes prepared. She had not filed taxes last year, so the VITA volunteer prepared tax returns for the previous two years for her. While having her return filed, she mentioned that she was hoping to get a decent sized tax return to pay off some bills. She stated that her car needed to be repaired as well but that would have to hold out for another year because she couldn’t afford to fix it right now. She talked about how she had recently received a new job that paid better that she had been working towards for 3 years, and she was finally able to move her family out of a very small apartment and into a townhome with more space for her family of 4.
After the two years of returns were prepared, this mom ended up receiving a total of $13,751 in returns, with just over $8,000 of that coming from the Earned Income Credit. She was in shock at how much she was getting back, and said that she had been working so hard to make life better for her kids and finally feels like she is being rewarded for all of her hard work. She couldn’t believe how many bills and financial needs she would be able to take care of now, and talked about finally being able to take her kids on the vacation that they had been asking about for a long time! She said she waited 3 hours to get her return done but would have gladly waited 3 more, and really loved the Lakes & Prairies VITA services!
These are the happy stories that keep our volunteers inspired to continue giving up their evenings to be at our tax site, and a great example of how meaningful the work we are doing is to the people we serve!
For information on how to access the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, visit the links below for the details and information about how to access this service supported by United Way
If you live in Clay County:
Lakes & Prairies Community Action Partnership
If you live in Cass County: