January 17, 2018

Here’s What You Need to Know About Claiming Your United Way Donation This tax season

Thank you for making an investment with United Way. You are helping change your world for GOOD, and you helped us make a lasting impact in Cass and Clay counties in 2017!

With every new year comes new and exciting things, but there’s one thing we can always count on: TAXES!

We are doing our part to give our donors what they need for tax season. Here are a couple of things to note:

1. Tax receipts will be mailed to our donors during the week of January 22.
2. Receipts will be mailed for all payments of $250 or more received during the 2017 calendar year.

Payroll Pledges
If you made a payroll pledge in 2017, you will not be receiving a receipt from us. Instead, the IRS asks that you use a pay stub, W-2 or other document provided by your employer to substantiate your donation.

The IRS also requires a copy of your pledge form, either the paper form you filled out during your company’s campaign or an email confirmation of your pledge. If you can’t find your pledge form or email receipt, don’t worry! Reach out to our team, and we can send you a letter that meets the IRS requirements.

Remember: For this tax season, you are claiming the payroll pledge you made in 2016, because those payments were withheld throughout 2017. Your payroll pledge from the fall of 2017 will come out of your 2018 paychecks, so hold on to those pay stubs for next year’s taxes!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our team at 701.237.5050, or email us at finance@unitedwaycassclay.org. We are here to help!

We couldn’t do what we do without you. Thank you for investing in United Way and helping us create lasting local change!

Tax_Blog2.jpg Download Tax_Blog.jpg Download Tax_Blog3.jpg Download